Monday, November 3, 2008

The Hope of the Future

This may sound like a last-ditch political title presented on the day before the big election, but it's not. Frankly, I have much more hope in the future through the eyes of a child, than I do in the current state of the government and it's political representation. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the ability to voice my opinion; to live in the United States of America and to have the freedoms that I do.

This weekend we went to the African Children's Choir at BYU-Idaho. It was such a great concert and I learned so much about the many different cultures and people living in Africa and the hardships that these young children face. The choir is made up of 8-12 yr olds who have been orphaned by either the war in Ruwanda or by HIV. This organization literally took the children off the streets and provided an opportunity for them to sing in the choir while attending school. Their stories are amazing. For more information about the choir see www.africanchildrenschoir.com.

It was a humbling experience to reflect on how blessed we are to live as we do. I think we tend to forget that far too often. It was so touching at the end of the concert each child took the microphone and introduced themselves and told the audience what they wanted to be when they grew up (mostly doctors, teachers, and lawyers). Tears came to my eyes as I realized that this organization has given them more than education or the ability to practice their talents, it has given them hope for the future. What a wonderful gift!

On Sunday, we went to Ogden where my brother, Brent, blessed his new baby boy...Ryan Paul Beattie. He has grown so much since I saw him last month and is so cute! Since we drove there and back on Sunday, it was a day filled with much travel, but definately worth it. It was so fun to be with all the family for the day (especially the nieces and nephews who keep us so busy).



Dad, I don't want to sit still!
(Brent, Abby, Laura - trying to escape on the left, Eden, and baby Ryan)


Ryan Paul Beattie (Isn't he adorable?)

Me with the nieces and nephews. From left to right (Dylan, Laura, Bradyn, Eden, and Makayla - Ryan is sleeping upstairs).

Together they along with so many children from our homes and communities are the hope of the future. I have thought alot about that this year as the theme for Primary is "I am a Child of God." The opportunities have never been greater to stand tall and be "children of God." That is where my hope in the future lies...in God and in those who live to be able to be called His children.

3 comments:

Lanna said...

Super cute Lex! I love your music selection too. How sweet about the African children. I admire those who started that choir. I wish I could do something so wonderful like that. I wish I could just take them all home and give them the love they deserve.. Glad you got to go.

Carrie said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend. I miss going to those random events at BYU-I. It was always those random concerts that I loved the best and usually had the best message. Hope to see you soon!

Beattie Family said...

Thank you Lex, that is so true, no matter what president's in the white house, our children are still in our homes, families, and communities, and that's where we can make a difference.